The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive, and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of high-quality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries. We provide guidance and support to produce, synthesize and quality assure evidence of what works, for whom, how, why and at what cost. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organization in the United States. It has offices in New Delhi, London and Washington, DC.
3ie’s evaluation office, based in New Delhi, is responsible for developing new grant programs for impact evaluations, reviewing and quality assuring 3ie-funded impact evaluations and conducting in-house evaluations. Currently, the office supports projects and programs across thematic areas like aquaculture, agricultural innovation, sanitation, immunization and livelihoods. 3ie recently launched a new program focused on promoting women’s economic empowerment by supporting the implementation and evaluation of innovative interventions for women’s collectives- and group-based enterprises in India.
3ie seeks a Telugu-speaking Consultant Research Assistant residing in Andhra Pradesh or Telangana to support its women’s economic empowerment evidence program -- Swashakt. This is a full-time consultant position for four months, with the possibility of an extension.
The research assistant will report to the senior evaluation specialist and/or evaluation specialist. The core responsibilities and tasks are listed below, but the candidate may be assigned other tasks depending on the organization’s needs.
- Accompany and assist the 3ie team and/or the data collection agency during field visits to rural parts of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana
- Translate Telugu documents to English
- Translate English documents, including but not limited to tools for qualitative data collection, to Telugu
- Attend training of qualitative researchers on data collection conducted by 3ie
- Conduct in-depth interviews (IDI), key informant interviews (KII) and focused group discussions (FGD) in Telugu
- Transcribe KIIs and IDIs and produce detailed notes of the FGDs in English
- Provide copy-editing assistance on transcripts and translations
- Take copious field notes and submit weekly fieldwork reports
- The consultant will also be expected to produce a brief based on the research conducted
Required qualifications and skills
- A master’s or equivalent in development studies/social sciences, sociology, political science, public policy, gender studies, or related fields
- Proficiency in written and spoken Telugu and English
- Prior experience of fieldwork in rural India, in particular Andhra Pradesh and Telangana
- Willingness to travel within Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, including to rural areas
- Ability to take copious field notes and overall good documentation skills
- Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Prior experience with conducting KIIs and FGDs is desirable
- Prior experience in writing and producing articles, reports, briefs is desirable
- Familiarity with and understanding of concepts in gender studies and women’s empowerment-related research is desirable
3ie will recruit one individual with the right to work in India. The individual should be residing in either Andhra Pradesh or Telangana and will be required to be based there for the entire duration of employment. Applications from firms will not be accepted. 3ie is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, ethnicity or sexual orientation. We particularly encourage women, ethnic minorities and differently-abled persons to apply.
Terms of employment
The selected candidate will be required to start work from November 2021 on a full-time basis for a period of four months. 3ie offers competitive remuneration based on experience and qualifications. Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults from abuse. We follow a zero-tolerance policy for any form of bullying or harassment in the workplace.
How to apply
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com mentioning ‘Consultant Research Assistant - Swashakt’ in the subject line. Please attach the following documents* in one email, and do not attach other documents beyond those requested below:
- A one-page cover letter highlighting experience most relevant to the job description
- Curriculum vitae (not to exceed two pages)
- Contact information for two references
*Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The application deadline is 15 October 2021. Due to urgency to fill this vacancy, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.