The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of high- quality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries. We provide guidance and support to produce, synthesize and quality assure evidence of what works, for whom, how, why and at what cost. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organization in the United States. It has offices in New Delhi, London and Washington, DC.
3ie’s evaluation office, based in New Delhi, is responsible for developing and implementing evidence programs for impact evaluations, reviewing and quality assuring 3ie-funded impact evaluations and conducting in-house evaluations. Currently, the office supports projects and programs across thematic areas like aquaculture, agricultural innovation, sanitation, immunization, peacebuilding, social protection, and livelihoods.
We are inviting applications for a Research Associate to support the evaluation office on an early childhood learning and development initiative for India, Senegal and Indonesia and another one on child immunization in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). The Research Associate may also be required to support other evaluation projects, as needed. This is a full-time position for one year with the potential for extension, subject to continuity of the project and performance in the role.
The Associate will provide research support for a) preparation of impact evaluation framework of an early childhood learning and development initiative for India, Senegal and Indonesia as well as evaluation capacity building activities; and b) quantitative and qualitative evidence synthesis on drivers of vaccine hesitancy for routine child immunization in LMICs. They are also expected to assist with knowledge management, training, business development, evidence synthesis and stakeholder engagement activities.
The core responsibilities are listed below, but the position may be assigned other duties depending on the organization’s needs.
Research and evaluation support
- Research assistance, including data analysis, statistical and econometric analysis, power calculation, coding, preparation of tables, graphs and figures, literature reviews and others;
- Support preparation and review of research proposals and research articles;
- Contribute to developing questionnaires and databases;
- Support data collection quality assurance activities;
- Support implementation of transparency, reproducibility and ethical best practices in research;
- Prepare presentations;
- Review technical deliverables and perform replication analysis (push button replication).
Synthesis research support
- Assist in development of synthesis review protocol;
- Screen the search results, extract data from the findings of impact evaluations and systematic reviews;
- Read assigned impact evaluations and systematic reviews;
- Critically appraise the quality of assigned impact evaluations and systematic reviews using a structured checklist;
- Write a summary of the critical appraisal to be published on the repository;
- Peer review the critical appraisal provided by others;
- Extract and code meta-data from impact evaluations and systematic reviews, such as bibliographic information, sectors and methodologies used;
- Support writing of reports, including figures and tables;
- Describe the interventions under the guidance of the advisory council.
Training and knowledge management
- Prepare training materials, including presentations, case studies and other materials;
- Develop policymaker-friendly materials such as briefs, executive summaries, study summaries, blogs, conference abstracts and other reports for 3ie databases, internal tracking, website content and external channels;
- Support the organization of workshops, meetings and events;
- Contribute to the generation of writing outputs such as minutes from meetings and learning documents.
Grant program and evaluation project support
- Coordinate with key stakeholders such as donors, thought-partners, grantees, implementers, policymakers and others;
- Assist in preparing reporting documents;
- Assist in setting up of advisory council as well as in organization, administration and coordination of advisory council meetings.
- Work to expand existing and build new networks with stakeholders, including academic researchers, professional evaluators, development practitioners and others, as required.
Qualifications and skills
Education and work experience
- A Master’s or equivalent in economics, public policy, sociology, political science, or business administration;
- At least two years of relevant professional work experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of recent advances in econometric analysis and causal inference.
- Prior experience and/or knowledge of quantitative methods, impact evaluation and synthesis research;
- Prior experience in writing and producing reports, research papers or briefs;
- Prior experience preparing evaluation teaching materials.
- Demonstrated quantitative analysis skills using statistical software packages, including STATA, R and SPSS;
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively at a technical level in English, both oral and written;
- A strong ability to work on a team and under pressure with strict deadlines;
- Strong organization and planning skills, proactivity and perseverance;
- Ability to work in a multicultural setting and sensitivity to people of all genders;
- Flexibility to work core hours conducive to working collaboratively with the Washington, and London offices.
The successful candidate must be based in India and have the right to work in the country. 3ie is an equal-opportunity employer committed to equality and diversity. We do not discriminate based on sex, age, religion, ethnicity, caste, sexual orientation or for being differently abled. We particularly encourage ethnic minorities and differently-abled persons to apply.
Terms of assignment
The selected candidate will be required to fully commit their time to 3ie for one year and should be available to start work in November 2021 or earlier. Depending on the individual’s performance and availability of projects, the contract may be renewed beyond one year. We offer competitive remuneration based on experience and qualifications.
Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults from abuse. We follow a zero-tolerance policy for any form of bullying or harassment in the workplace.
How to apply
Please apply by email to email@example.com with ‘EO Research Associate’ mentioned in the subject line.
The application must provide, at a minimum*, the following information:
- A cover letter, not exceeding one page, highlighting your experience relevant to the terms of reference;
- Curriculum vitae (not to exceed two pages);
- Name and contact information for three professional references.
*Incomplete applications will not be considered
The application deadline is 17 October 2021. Applications will be reviewed, and shortlisted candidates interviewed on a rolling basis. 3ie reserves the right to close this advert before the above-mentioned date if sufficient applications are received. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.