The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of high-quality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries. We provide guidance and support to produce, synthesize and quality-assure evidence of what works, for whom, how, why and at what cost. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organization in the United States. It has offices in New Delhi, London and Washington, DC.
The Strategic Communications Office (SCO) is responsible for developing effective approaches to communicating research, advocating for evidence-informed policymaking and programming and monitoring, evaluating and reporting on evidence impact. The team anchors 3ie’s internal and external communication, including producing content and maintaining the 3ie website and producing knowledge, advocacy and institutional publications.
3ie is inviting applications for a Senior Communication Associate with project management skills, preferably based at our New Delhi office. For exceptional candidates with the right to work, we may consider a remote working arrangement for those based in India.
The successful candidate will be highly organized, have a background and/or training in international development communication and project management. They will be responsible for a variety of tasks, including day-to-day management of publications, supporting institutional communication efforts, contributing to strategic reporting, and undertaking project management as needed. They will be a self-starter, a mid-career professional with a passion for sustainable, inclusive and equitable development, and with a can-do, team player attitude.
- Strategize on new products, launches, events, and online promotions
- Develop and implement a cohesive communication plan in line with 3ie’s strategy
- Create content and manage dissemination through 3ie’s social media channels
- Lead on conceptualizing, planning and organising online and in-person events
- Create and maintain a workplan for institution-level, external communication activities
- Prepare, monitor and maintain budgets for institutional communication activities
- Create and maintain a calendar for various institutional communication activities and products, including events, blogs, emailers and so on
- Maintain and update process documents, guidelines, templates, and so on for external communication
- Oversee implementation of and improvements to 3ie’s branding and logo suite as needed
- Coordinate inputs and contribute to 3ie’s bi-weekly newsletter
- Provide inputs for communication and implementation plans
Project/program communication and engagement
- Lead or support development and implementation of communication and engagement plans for 3ie’s projects/programs
- Liaise with SCO specialists and project staff in other offices to monitor and capture learning from implementation of communication plans
- Create appropriate messages, products, activities, and budget best suited to the project manager
- Prepare analytics for donor reports as required for various projects and programs
- Maintain and improve the editorial management for all 3ie publications, including coordinating across offices, managing vendors and working with the in-house designer
- Procure and manage freelancers for copyediting, proofing, and design, including contracts and invoices
- Review work of freelancers who provide copy-editing and proofing services, reconciling changes and work closely with authors to clear technical content queries
- Draft and edit content for publications, including but not limited to blurbs for the website, summaries on the Development Evidence Portal, social media, newsletters, among others
- Be the single point of contact for all staff on publications-related work, including editorial processes, 3ie’s style guide, formatting, templates and guidelines
- Lead SCO’s reporting on products and activities on a quarterly, half-yearly and annual basis as needed. This includes reporting on indicators like publications, events, social media, and so on
- Act as SCO’s liaison with senior staff and management to ensure smooth flow of internal communication
- Support onboarding of new staff and consultants
- Writing and editing assignments as required
Qualifications and skills
Education, training, and work experience
- Master’s in a field directly relevant to international development that included formal training in communication
- At least six years of relevant work experience in the international development sector
- Experience in writing, editing and proofreading is an advantage
- Experience in editorial management is an advantage
- Experience in project management is preferred; project management certifications will be an advantage
- Experience with contracting, vendor management and financial management
- Experience with creating and managing budgets
- Familiarity with communication tools, apps and software
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the flexibility and desire to adapt to shifting weekly priorities and deadlines
- Experience working in a matrix environment is preferred
- Excellent cross-cultural skills and diplomacy
- Strong and demonstrable proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
The successful candidate must have the right to work in India. Foreigners in India on a business visa do not qualify for this position. 3ie is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, ethnicity, disability, caste, religion or sexual orientation. We particularly encourage women, ethnic minorities and differently abled persons to apply.
Terms of Employment
Candidates should be available to join as early as possible. The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate, based on qualifications and experience. Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults from abuse. We follow a zero-tolerance policy for any form of bullying or harassment in the workplace.
How to apply
Please apply by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention ‘Senior Communication Associate’ in the subject line.
The application must provide, at a minimum*, the following information:
- A one-page cover letter highlighting experience most relevant to job description
- Curriculum vitae (not to exceed two pages)
- Writing sample, if available (please indicate if it is co-authored or produced by yourself)
*Incomplete applications will not be considered
Shortlisted applicants should expect to:
- Undertake a writing and editing test
- Provide contact information of three professional references
The application deadline is 30 November 2021. Due to the urgency to fill this role, applications will be reviewed, and shortlisted candidates interviewed on a rolling basis. 3ie reserves the right to close this advert before the above-mentioned closing date if sufficient applications are received.